German Recipe- Meatballs and Fried Potatoes
This week we were invited by Ellinor’s Mum at her home. She was making her traditional meatballs and fried potatoes. A meal that she always cooked with much love for her family. And you can taste this love in every bite. Gaby lives in the City of Bochum in Western Germany. Here we wanna share this yummy Recipe with you and hope you will enjoy it!
Ingredients for German meatballs
500g minced meat, half pork, half beef
1 Onion, chopped
1 handsize piece of white bread
1 tablespoon Englisch Mustard
a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
pepper and salt
Pinch of nutmeg
How to start:
First, soak the white bread in water and let it soak for a while until soft. Then squeeze out all the liquid.
Get a bowl and mix all other ingredients together until well combined.
Now shape the meatballs into the size you desire and start frying them in a pan on medium heat.
Each side will take approx. 5 minutes.
Your meatballs are done!
The meatballs are ready to be served! But please have them with the following fried potatoes recipe ok? 🙂
German fried Potatoes
600g waxy potatoes
1 Onion, chopped
1 handful of diced good quality bacon
1 bunch of fresh parsley
salt & pepper
The Recipe for Fried Potatoes
- First, parboil the potatoes a day before , peel them and cool down.
- The next day slice the potatoes. Not too thin. Not too thick.
- In a frying pan fry the bacon for 5 minutes. Add the chopped onions to the bacon and keep frying until the onions are browned and the bacon is crispy.
- Take out the bacon and the onions and set aside.
- Now add more oil to the pan and start frying the potatoes. Fry the potatoe slices and constantly check with a fork. Flip them on the other side when golden brown and crispy on one side.
- When the potatoes are almost done add the bacon and onion to the same pan. Shake the pan and mix well.
- Add fresh parsley to the pan and shake again.
- Season now with pepper and salt. Taste! Believe me, this will be delicious!🙂
Do not add too many potatoes to the pan. Each slice needs space to be fried evenly..otherwise they are cooking instead of being fried.
Make sure that the potatoes do not sit on top of each other.In case the pan is small fry in batches. It is worth it , trust me.
If you are craving the total feast you can have an fried egg on top to make it even more german 🙂 Together with the meatballs this is a proper traditional meal that we grew up with. It will always remind of home and it is for sure a dish that i gonna miss on the road. Have fun cooking!! And don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions. I would love to hear from you!
And here are some impression of Bochum City, Germany for you
There is so much interesting to discover and it’s rich in Green parks, Museums, Cafes, colorful Murals, Art Galeries, second-hand shops, street food markets, the Planetarium and the famous Schauspielhaus ( one of the most famous theaters of Germany). Bochum is a great place to live. Good vibes here! Most people are passing through to have a few drinks at the legendary Bermuda Dreieck which is a famous Bar Strip.
The beautiful Kortum Park is a nice place to have a walk in the evening.
Streetart is never really far and Bochum does have a strong art community.
Bochum’s pride: The Theater